Thursday, January 21, 2010

Job

The author of Job is unknown and was written in the Land of Uz, approximately 2000-1800 B.C. This book discusses suffering and the blessings that can come from it. Bible scholars mostly agree that Job is the oldest book of the Bible and that Job lived in the same era as Abraham. This explains why our reading journey makes a leap from the middle of Genesis over to Job.

Abraham and Job had a couple of things in common; both were wealthy and both possessed a strong faith in God.

Throughout Job, he complains of his afflictions (which include the loss of his family, his wealth, and his health) to his friends. He spends a good amount of time dwelling on his suffering until he finally realizes that it isn't his place to question God. He repents and God immediately restores his health, gives him another family, and makes him more wealthy than he had been before.

Job ends his personal suffering with a simple, yet powerful, message: "I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:6).

Everyone has their own battles to fight, but this book serves to remind me that I, like Job, need to be repentant and just trust God. It is too easy at times to complain about life. My hope is that I pray my way through life and not complain my way through life!

No comments:

Post a Comment