Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Christian Journey

"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14

The Christian journey is not an one, especially in these days and times.

In this passage, the apostle Paul was warning the Philippians that they could expect opposition and trials in their everyday life. He encouraged them to press toward the goal of spiritual growth and maturity and to persevere through their adversities.

In verse 13, Paul states, "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before."

This is very sound advice today! When life becomes discouraging here on earth, we need to remember that we are God's creation and this is our "temporary" home. Heaven awaits those of us that keep pressing on.

Long ago, it was very difficult for me to let go of the past. I would replay events in my head over and over, and play the "what if" game. It almost drove me insane and almost always negatively effected my mood. I finally learned that what has happened in the past is just that: IN THE PAST. It cannot be changed. If I made mistakes, then I try to learn from those so as not to repeat them. Our past is over and done with; the present is NOW, so make valuable use of your time NOW. Our future is yet to be done, but place it faithfully into God's gracious hands and it is as secure as it could ever possibly be.

To coin an old adage from the 1970's, "Keep on truckin'"!

No comments:

Post a Comment